Sunday, December 19, 2010

Mini Me: 1999 - December 9, 2010

I can't think of a sadder way to end this decade than to say goodbye to the best dog I had the pleasure to know. Mini Me. This humble blog post tribute cannot put fully into words how I feel about losing Mini Me--about the years we spent together and everything that he was. But I want to mark it for posterity here.

It was a freezing cold January morning in 2000. It had been below zero for weeks. Very cold for New York City. While driving through Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn we stopped at a light on Classon Avenue I happened to look to my left and saw a skeleton eating from a garbage bag in the early cold light. I said to my then boyfriend, "Get him and don't let him get away."

We got him in the car and I wrapped a towel around him. Nearly frozen he managed to give me a teeny wag with the tip of his tail as we headed home. I had two other big dogs and figured, just get him in the house, then figure out what to do later. He was in such bad shape I couldn't even look at him. All bones. I could feel the outline of his pelvis. He had scars on his head. It was an awful sight. I realize until the next day that he was only a puppy, maybe about 5 months old. But he held his own with my 90-pound Alaskan Malamute and nearly as big Rottweiler.

After one night of food, sleep, warmth, and a bath in the morning, he was running around like a jack rabbit. All toes, ears, and tails flying. A funny-looking dog who grew to be magnificent. He got the nickname 'Mini Me' from the Austin Powers movie because he looked just my my big Rottie mix, only much smaller.
I wasn't going to keep him but he ended up staying.

I've never met a dog with more heart or spirit. He got me through some tough times and made me smile and laugh despite how I felt. He taught me more than I already understood about survival. Mini Me did everything in the biggest way he could--bigger than he was. Jumped higher, ran faster, find the biggest stick and would drag it over for me to throw. He'd bring half a tree if he could get it to move. A real dog's dog. He always came when I called.

A German Shepherd, Rottweiler mix of some unknown combination. When people asked, I said he was a 'Brooklyn Dingo.'
He did back flips, side flips, caught sticks and Frisbees in the air while doing a pretzel twist and then land on his feet. Mini Me was a natural guard dog. I'll miss his huge bark, his gentleness, his intelligence, sensitivity, and his sense of humor. Mini was a tail-waggin' dog who was right there with you. He was hugged and kissed everyday. We were very close and I loved him very much.

I saved him once and he saved me a thousand times.
Goodbye Mini Me. Thank you for being my dog and for loving me for just me.
If the Good Lord permits, I hope to see you in Heaven. I'll miss you forever.


19 Comments:

Anonymous vagabond trader said...

Sniff,that was beautiful UI. What a great friend,such a face. Yes you will see your Brooklyn Dingo again I am sure.


G-d bless.

December 19, 2010 5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great tribute, he will live on in your memory and now in the memory of those who read this. thanks.

December 19, 2010 5:36 PM  
Anonymous Bill H said...

I was fortunate enough to know Mini Me and to be able to call him a friend. Everything UI says about his enumerable talents and strong personality are true.

But, I also knew him (as UI did) as the sweetest, most loving, and friendly dog ever. Any time I visited, he was all over me for attention. But I really think he was more into it for the attention he was giving. He was just that loving and warm.

I didn't see him for years, due to various circumstances, but his passing is still felt very deeply in my heart.

He was a wonderful friend and protector to UI, and for that alone I know he sits at the feet of God in Heaven.

Kisses, Mini Me!

December 19, 2010 5:46 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

So sorry to hear this, but I can sympathize. Two years ago in December we had to have two dogs put to sleep, two weeks apart. It was horrible. The previous year in December we had to have another dog put to sleep. I'm not sure I can go through it again. We finally got another dog, just one, and we pray she is healthy and happy for many years.

Our dogs too are part of the family.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

December 19, 2010 5:49 PM  
Blogger Urban Infidel said...

He will be so missed.

Debbie, I can't imagine losing 2 dogs that quickly. Wow.

Bill, Mini always liked you. XX

December 19, 2010 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Gerard said...

That photo is adorable. His tongue looks like a pink lily pad.

Sorry to hear that he's gone from your life, but it sounds like he made the most of the last decade.

December 19, 2010 7:17 PM  
Anonymous DanNY said...

Wow, what a wonderful tribute to a wonderful friend. Thank you for sharing that with us UI.

December 19, 2010 8:42 PM  
Anonymous Macker said...

Dang. I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish my wife and I had a dog....

December 19, 2010 10:33 PM  
Anonymous milan from Belgium said...

wonderful tribute! I'm impressed, to say the least.

December 20, 2010 8:29 AM  
Anonymous Cathy said...

Pets are such a part of our lives. He will forever be in your heart, and will meet you again someday.

December 20, 2010 8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UI. Sadly, I know the feeling. But what a blessing it was. Sending you condolences from right across the river in Greenwich Village.

December 23, 2010 11:15 AM  
Anonymous BulgarWheat said...

that was a lovely story

December 25, 2010 7:55 AM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Losing our four-legged companions brings us a grief that is difficult to put into words. But the heart knows.

December 26, 2010 9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was truly touching. It's so hard to lose a loyal friend. God bless animals and their companions everywhere. Travel well Mini!

December 27, 2010 6:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Its a tough thing to go thru. I have done it many times. And my Bouvier is no longer a puppy. Its hard to even think about. God bless you.And, hang in there. PS:Get a new dog sooner than later. I let 2 years go by after I lost my first Bouv. I regret not getting this one sooner.

January 01, 2011 7:50 AM  
Blogger Urban Infidel said...

Thank you, all of you, for your kind and sincere words. The emails from friends and readers have brought true comfort to my aching heart over the last weeks. It was only today that I was able to pull it together to put his leash and collar away along with his ashes.

Mini Me's passing was particularly difficult because when I left for work that morning he was alright and when I came home I found him in the yard. It was a very blunt and hard way to lose him.

We miss miss him with all our hearts. Stuie, my other dog misses him too. They were tight buddies. So adorable together. I'm not ready to adopt another dog yet, but I will one day. I won't wait too long.

January 01, 2011 2:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry about your loss. Dogs & cats can be so much members of our families. We care for them, love them, and mourn them.

January 01, 2011 7:25 PM  
Blogger Dara said...

Hi

I'm sorry to hear about your pup. He was beautiful. Thanks for giving him such a great life.

January 28, 2011 5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I am reading your post I have a huge white furball covering half the floor beside me. Snowy is 19+ years old and I know this may be her last season. Mostly she sleeps, but still gets excited for her dinner. She is one of 3 "found" dogs. Last spring the youngest lost a battle with cancer. It was not the first dog I lost, but the pain is so great. I truly grieve for you in your loss.

February 15, 2011 7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home