Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day Parade New York City 2009


It was a privilege to be able to come out to pay tribute to our fighting men and women today. To be among our American warriors made me feel so many things.


Humbled by their sacrifice. Proud that I was born free in this great country. Overwhelmed by their spirit and sense of duty.

It is also nice to see veterans and their families again that I have photographed over the last 3 years of covering the parade.

The opening ceremony. Today marks the 90th anniversary of the founding of Veterans Day (1919-2009). The New York City Veterans Day parade is hosted by the United War Veterans Council and is the largest of its kind in America. The theme of today's parade is 'The Blessings of Liberty.'
















This gentleman does re-enactments of the Battle of Fort Washington at Fort Tryon Park. According to history, losing this battle helped us win the Revolutionary War.

His leather strap is stamped with the word, 'Liberty.' He was quite convincing.








His ship. The 746.









FDNY Bagpipe warm-up before the parade. Always gets me right *here.* Must be the Irish in me.



One of the Tuskegee Airmen from World War 2!

















A very elegant and patient Doberman named Thomson.

Helicopter gunners flying low overhead on Fifth Avenue!


The USS New York was made from the steel from the World Trade Center.


The Navajo Code Talkers!

















A very heavy flag. And it was windy!












Here's the complete slide show of the parade !

15 Comments:

Blogger Karridine said...

Thank GOD for the American veteran...

Proof of the American fighting force, deployed in the Cause of Freedom!

God Bless America!

Karridine
and thank YOU, Urban, for this photo essay! Good work!

November 11, 2009 9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh, what a representation! Urban Infidel, you've set me weeping, with pride, and love, and gratitude.....your display did justice to the full history of our nation. Thank you. I am grateful --to all those who have fought for us, or been prepared to, and to you for being my eyes..... :) XO!

-- Ma Sands

November 11, 2009 9:24 PM  
Anonymous pat said...

Great work as usual.

November 12, 2009 1:16 AM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

God bless our veterans!

November 12, 2009 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

UI - Thank you. I'm with Ma Sands. Big tears. Thank you to all of our Veterans, past, present, and future.

CH

November 12, 2009 11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you!!! I looked all over the net for a picture of our unit in the parade, and you were the only one who caught us. 800th MP's out of uniondale. thanks so much!!

November 12, 2009 1:02 PM  
Blogger Urban Infidel said...

Dear Anonymous from the 800th MP's,

You are most welcome! Glad you found me. There's tons more photos in the slide show.

And THANK YOU for your service.

Urban Infidel.

November 12, 2009 2:43 PM  
Anonymous Matt said...

Thanks Urban! That was great.

I especially liked the flying tiger mobile!

November 12, 2009 7:30 PM  
Anonymous Dan Maloney said...

I'm late getting a link up, UI, but you did another outstanding job with this report!

November 12, 2009 9:29 PM  
Anonymous RonM said...

There are some great pictures here. I was wondering if you have any other groups' pictures that aren't in the slide show. Our son was in a band from Virginia about 10 or 15 minutes after the large flag. The chaperons were carrying pictures of family veterans.

Again, great shots.

November 13, 2009 1:29 AM  
Blogger Urban Infidel said...

Hi RonM!

Thanks for coming by.

I remember those signs carried by family members. I wished I had taken a few pictures of them but I was too busy staring at the faces in those old photograph and noticed the people carrying them bore a resemblance.

I looked through all of my pictures and didn't see the marching band, I'm sorry.

November 13, 2009 7:27 AM  
Anonymous RonM said...

Apparently a lot of people commented positively about the signs. I'm glad to hear they made an impression.

Keep up the great work.

November 13, 2009 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not from the U.S. but even I was proud to see the faces of these wonderful heros! I just happened on your blog.
God bless you for taking these wonderful photos and sharing them with us all.
Tory

November 14, 2009 11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is certainly interesting for me to read that article. Thank you for it. I like such topics and everything connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

November 17, 2009 4:07 PM  
Blogger gettinby said...

A few days off for Christmas and New Year means catching up with my favorite sites, and yours is one of them. This is a FANTASTIC series of pics. I just love how you bring this great parade of heroes to the rest of us who are unable to be there. Like the bagpipes for you, your presentation gets me right *here* - God bless our Military!

January 01, 2010 7:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home