Sunday, August 12, 2012

Political Street Food: Communist Dessert Chic

 I came across this odd little street food vendor last month in my neighborhood travels.
 
The delicious-looking chocolate and farmer's cheese confection called Sirki was being offered by a place ironically named Iron Curtain which features pan-Soviet cuisine.  Poking around on the web I discovered that Sirki was a favorite childhood treat in Russia and that it [like pretty much everything else] had vanished from the stores during the Soviet era.

The vendor, who is from Russia and remembers the last gasps of the Soviet regime, said she was concerned about business because she felt that a lot of Americans hate Communism.  I said that we do, but it's also worth noting that within a scant year of Obama in power the head of the Communist Party of the USA at a three-day international conference of communist and worker's parties said, "There could not have been a better time to be a Communist in the U.S.A. than this.

Maybe Iron Curtain could cater the upcoming Democratic National Convention.

UPDATE: Thanks to Gateway Pundit, The People's Cube, and IOwnTheWorld for the links!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Macker said...

But is the Owner of Iron Curtain a true Communist?

August 12, 2012 12:10 PM  
Blogger Urban Infidel said...

Macker,

I don't think entirely so, after all she is an entrepreneur. But she didn't make any real, solid anti-communist remarks either.

Also, I tried one of the Sirkis. Though it looked great, the farmer's cheese/dark chocolate combo wasn't so great.

August 12, 2012 12:13 PM  
Blogger Dymphna said...

Well, I learned a lot. Looked up some recipes: bascially an uncooked cheesecake mixture heavily flavored with lemon zest and then dipped in bittersweet chocolate.

IIRC, one is a "sirok" and the plural is sirki.

I might make it if I knew the source of the raw eggs. But really it would be better to adapt them to being cooked, cooled, and then dipped.

My guess on your experience: she didn't whip them enough, flavor them enough, or put in enough sugar to offset the bitter "sir" or chocolate.

Here is a recipe I might adapt...or perhaps find another source.

Sirki

In her picture, the pop-sticks would have to go. Whadda potential disaster.

August 12, 2012 4:01 PM  
Blogger Urban Infidel said...

Dymphna-
Those look good. And yes, variations on this theme would be interesting.

One of my readers remembered them too from her childhood and sent me these links:

http://www.molskaz.ru/files/uni_catalog_elem/surok_sweet8izum_big.png

http://img1.1tv.ru/imgsize460x345/PR20110215111623.JPG

I think the ones I tried would have been better if the chocolate were not quite as dark and if the cheese inside were a bit sweeter. Though, visually they were great.

August 12, 2012 4:23 PM  
Anonymous Tänz said...

Where exactly is this located, can u give me the address??

May 14, 2013 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home