Sunday, May 13, 2007

Code Pink & Raging Grannies NYC Mother's Day Peace Stroll

I went to the Code Pink / Raging Grannies for Peace Mother's Day Peace March today that kicked off at Columbus Circle in Manhattan. It was a moderate crowd. There were sing-a-longs and printed out lyrics were passed around for a few less-than-electrifying renditions of 'God Help America' sung to the tune of 'God Bless America', 'Give Iraq our Constitution' to the tune of 'I'm a Yankee Doodle Dandy' and finishing with a 'Mother's Day Lament' sung to the tune of 'My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean'.

A member of Mouths Wide Open gave me a pack of toy soldiers and informed me that the idea was to place the soldiers in specific places around the city and photograph them.
The insert read:
'We're spreading plastic Army Men around the country and around the globe as small everyday reminders of the ongoing horrors of the war in Iraq - using them as tools to foster dialogue, action and resistance to the war. Let's put these little messengers everywhere - green plastic icons to the American conscience, creating an environment in which it becomes increasingly difficult to ignore the war, the loss of life and the unending destruction."
There was a small but visible counter-demonstration as well. They passed around a flyer that asks the question:
Who and What is Code Pink?
Code Pink is supposed to represent non-political women aroused by injustice. But one wonders why it bothers with the pretense. To mock the State Department of Homeland Security's color-coded terror alerts, the radicals of the anti-war Left chose pink, the color symbolic of baby girls. Code Pink supporters say they will warn against the "extreme danger to all the values of nurturing, caring and compassion that women and loving men have held." In 1917, the Bolsheviks cried out for "peace, land and bread" to fool the Russian people into believing they were patriotic, not ideological. Nine decades later, Code Pink relies on the same Leninist tactic: Better Pink Than Dead.
My photo slide show can be seen here.

12 Comments:

Blogger TigerHawk said...

Code Pink is supposed to represent non-political women aroused by injustice.

Who knew that one could arouse a woman by injustice? And here I thought it took well-defined abs.

May 13, 2007 7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good work as always!
Comment moderation has been enabled. All comments must be approved by the blog author.
Have you had a problem with comments? I just let people say whatever crap they want. It amuses me. Although the comments in Farsi tend to freak me out a little. Never sure if I have a Fatwah on my butt or not.
ec

May 13, 2007 9:24 PM  
Blogger Urban Infidel said...

Thanks, EC!

I have been moderating because do get some unpleasant comments from time to time that I do not want on my site.

You and me both on the fatwa tip!

May 13, 2007 9:50 PM  
Blogger WomanHonorThyself said...

hey girl!..great work..I would have joined ya but I dont think I can stomach them!..lol

May 13, 2007 9:58 PM  
Blogger Tony Allen said...

Good work, but how do you cover such events without losing your lunch? Be careful out there.

Ur biggest fan.

-Tony

May 13, 2007 10:07 PM  
Blogger BabbaZee said...

You'd think that with the attainment of age some enlightenment would naturally follow.

NOT!

UI

as always

you are my hero.

Whatta bunch of swampy old twats.
GAH!

May 14, 2007 10:12 AM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

When I participated in D.C.'s Gathering of Eagles on March 17, I got an up-close view of Code Pink. What a bunch of loonies! One was actually carrying a sign which read "Make love, not war." Sheesh!

Let's see....Red for Commies. Pink, too, I think. Or maybe pink is for female traitors.

May 14, 2007 9:20 PM  
Blogger beakerkin said...

UI

Sorry I could not make it. I was marooned in Hazlet NJ and was only able to get out late Monday. My altenator failed but in a very safe
place.

I may be enroute to home permanently.

The fact that a group is founded and led by Communists should tell the prudent all one needs to know.

May 16, 2007 12:12 AM  
Blogger Urban Infidel said...

Hey Beak,
Would have been nice to say 'hello', but you didn't miss much. It was rather unexciting really. They trundled along up Broadway and stopped in front of Lincoln Center before heading towards their final destination, The Museum of Natural History. I only hung around for a short while and ended up enjoying the street fair instead.

Keep me posted on your moving situation.

May 16, 2007 9:06 AM  
Blogger American Crusader said...

I didn't know that Code Pink claimed to be "non-political".
I wonder why the absurd disconnect?
They have been pushing an agenda since their formation.
Maybe they are practicing the concept of "al-Taqiyya".

May 16, 2007 10:34 AM  
Blogger HappyLibertarian said...

UI, Once again you have outdone yourself with your impressive photojournalism. I'm surprised at how easy it is to get inside the ranks of these idiots and take their pictures. I also must say that I find it totally ironic that these "grannies" and pinksters started their protest outside a bastion of consumerism, the Time-Warner Center. I couldn't help but laugh when I saw the pictures taken outside Starbucks. HAHAHA! I also found the commentary on the use of pink as interesting. As a gay man, I always thought when the word pink was used it was for us homos. Hitler used it. Wonder what these fools would think if I got all up in their business for absconding with our gay color! LOL

May 18, 2007 9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work.

November 10, 2008 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home